Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

War in Gaza: Israel vs. Hamas

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

After coming to see 2 seperate posts on the subject, I believe its important to give the truth on what is going on there.

In theory, the situation is not a first, unique situation, but is in many ways a repeat of the Gaza War of 2008/09 which started once Hamas (-a terrorist group according to the EU, US and Canada) started launching 100s of rockets at Israeli cities and towns (Sderot and Ashkelon being the most well-known).

An offensive was launched by Israel to stop the rocket fire and protect Israel’s civilians.

AGAIN, 3 years later, Hamas, after smuggling in thousands of rockets into Gaza, has restarted its campaign of terror against Israel’s civilians, now launching rockets as far as Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.

List of Palestinian rocket attacks on Israel, 2012

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Palestinian_rocket_attacks_on_Israel,_2012

To add important points, Hamas is one of the two main factions of the Palestinians (the other being called FATAH). Both are in favour of Palestinian independance. Hamas in a bloody uprising took over the Gaza strip in 2005, and has used Gaza as a terror based since then. In reaction to this, to stop weapons coming in, Israel maintains a blocade on the Gaza Strip.

Hamas is a militant Islamic fundamentalist organization which rejects peace and, according to its manifesto, wants to destroy Israel.

Hamas has launched hundreds of suicide bombings against Israeli civilians since the 1980s against Buses, nightclubs and other public places.

In this war, Israel targets military targets such as terror bases and rocket launchers, while Hamas fires indiscriminately at Israeli civilians in towns.

In the town of Sderot, Israeli schoolchildren have only 15 seconds from the time the alarm siren goes off to find shelter.

The cause and solution of this war are clear: the ROCKET ATTACKS

If Hamas were to stop firing rockets at Israeli civilians, the war would end tomorrow.

For a good overview of the general conflict, a short 5 minute movie:

Prager University: The Middle East Problem

09:18 PM Nov 18 2012 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

sali11

sali11

Algeria

war between israel and hamas like a war between yourself and your poor ideas

and don’t forget , that palestine will be free sooner

09:37 PM Nov 18 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

You had no business killing a Hamas leader with a peace agreement on the table. That’s like shooting under a white flag. Isreal started this with treachery. If you wanted to kill that man, you should have done it before you offered peace. Or after THEY broke the agreement. And to ask them to just trust you and not provide for their own defense seems a bit like the fascist plan for your people in Germany. If you disarm in the face of your enemy you put your neck on the block for them to decide whether to use the axe. You can’t expect grown men to live like that. What you say is true here as far as I can see, but you claim to be better than such treachery. To kill a leader of the group you are trying to make peace with while under an offer of peace is just bushwhacking.

All you say about them wasting money on weapons instead of schools is true. That they are teaching the hate to your children as well as theirs is true also. It is a city and a nation, not a jail. You force them to raise their children as inferiors and yet are surprised at the hostility that breeds. As I understand it, they became alarmed after the huge immigration of Jewish refugees following WWII and started riots and panic. Things went from there to the creation of Isreal. I don’t know what the answer is, but I know what it is not. Please consider my nation and our also unique history or American whites and American blacks. Isreal makes our historical mistakes and expects better results. And also from my history, no one ever makes peace with Bushwhackers.

Bushwhacking= lure an unsuspecting target to sudden deadly ambush for a political cause.

11:23 PM Nov 18 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

One of the mistakes was just when Hamas, famous for SUICIDE BOBM ATTACKS, was elected for the Palestinian government. What can you except from the country run by Hamas famous for running a dirty war and not honest tactics. Anything! Like the infamous ‘Passover’ bombing in March 2002 that killed thirty people and injured 140 more. The pictures can be posted here too, like by someone else for the today’s casualties. It’s a war and unfortunately innocent people are to suffer. But why those innocent people preferred a terrorist organization. It didn’t bring any peace to them only distruction and death when all various peace negotiantions were opposed by Hamas.

Killing Hamas leaders was a reply to 30 people innocent death.

11:59 PM Nov 18 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

Those deaths occurred before the peace offer. With on offer on the table you’re just bushwhacking. You can’t offer peace while you seek retribution. Thats a false peace and a lying offer. Isreal claims to be better than Hamas. Generally speaking they avoid the kind of dispicable murder Hamas is famous for, but not this time.  Morally I think giving a man a peace agreement then killing him while he reads it surely is the equivilent of the cowardly acts Hamas is so infamous for commiting. Isreal doesn’t have the moral high ground here. As bloody as the man may have been, a peace agreement was on the table and Isreal killed a man in the street. They drew first blood in this round of fighting.

12:04 AM Nov 19 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Agreement not agreement, that wretched organization’s plan is to dismantle Israel and replace it with a Muslim state. It will never be peace there unless Israel gives something in return. It’s a dead end.

12:19 AM Nov 19 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

Then wipe them out wholesale. They aren’t going to end this. Christians held Jerusalem for 88 years a thousand years ago. Jewish settlers have held it for about 65. Palestinians aren’t going to let it go. If Isreal ever wishes to live in actual peace like you and I enjoy, they MUST come to some form of terms the Palestinians can live with concerning Jerusalem. It’s an all or nothing situation. Isreal can end the Palestinian threat only by ending Palestinians or by coming to some agreement they and their children can live with in honor. A group or government can’t humiliate parents in front of their children without incurring the hatred of their children and childrens children. Again I offer the example of failures by white Americans towards black Americans following our period of slavery. People who are treated as underlings will always grow to hate their brother human who sees them as inferior. The great grandchildren will pay the price forward. Isreal offered peace and should have killed this man either before it was offered or after it was rejected. But that’s just my opinion based on what I’ve seen on the news.

I’d like to add that I believe in Isreals right to exist and recognize that they are as intractable on the issue as the Palestinians are. Still, it’s all or nothing for both. The Palestinians can either recognize Isreal or wipe them out. Knowing that wiping them out would result in WWIII and the certain deaths of all of them in retaliation. The world is too well armed and too crowded to settle disputes with violence. Those who try should be stopped. And don’t bother bringing up Iraq or Afghanistan I’m ok with our reasons and have heard all the objections.

01:18 AM Nov 19 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

What I see it’s a very sad situation as for the Palestinian people were driven to desparate mearsures with some violence occuring between two sides that was exarcebated by the refusal of financial help from USA and EU as well as Israel. Lack of salaries, rebelious feeling, frustration of Hamas when the whole International community turned away. So with this a poor record of controlling violence. The people thought that radical measure of the new Hamas government will bring some changes but it only made the situation worse. What is left is to pray for the less casualties and the God’s help in this tragic situation.

01:59 AM Nov 19 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

On that we are in complete agreement.

02:01 AM Nov 19 2012 |

Oscar73

Oscar73

Israel

07:37 PM Nov 19 2012 |

Oscar73

Oscar73