Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Would you like to write down some books you like here?

Gucci Yeung

China

Yea I’m a bookworm, I love reading. These are some books I like: The Unbearable Lightness of Being (Milan Kundera), My Name is Red (Orhan Pamuk), One Hundred Years of Solitude (Garcia Marquez), Le Città invisibili (Italo Calvino), and so on.
And I’m reading James Joyce’s A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, it’s good.
Would you like to share your favourite books with me?

12:06 PM Mar 31 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Gucci Yeung

China

My mother tongue is Chinese, which is always considered as the most difficult language in the world for foreigners to learn. And my second language is English, we learn it at school. French was chosen as the third language I would learn, because I like French literature and art ;-)

11:00 AM Apr 23 2010 |

adrianasparvolli

Brazil

My fave is PAPILLON the true story of a brave guy who scaped from prison many times.

11:31 AM Apr 23 2010 |

Gorgon

Gorgon

Romania

I'm the happy owner of a new old great book. Another chinese classical – Journey to the West, by Wu Cheng'en. The translation in Romanian lies on more than 1000 pages.

05:16 AM May 20 2010 |

Gucci Yeung

China

Have you ever heard the four great classical novels in China, Gorgon? They are Romance of Three Kingdoms, Journey to the West, Water Margin (Some translate it to All Men are Brothers) and Dream of the Red Chamber. And Journey to the West is so interesting that almost every Chinese kid have read it.

03:36 PM Jun 09 2010 |

Gorgon

Gorgon

Romania

I didn't hear about Water Margin. It sounds really interesting, but it is possible to not be translated in my language and I can't read in English too complex books.

01:15 AM Jun 10 2010 |

Gucci Yeung

China

Water Margin is really a complex book, there are more than one hundred characters in it and most of them are important. It is a big job to read even for us Chinese :) But of course it is a good book and has a high position in ancient Chinese literature.

03:37 AM Jun 10 2010 |

seagull2010

Russian Federation

It was very interesting to read about your favourite authurs and books.  I've found  here like-minded people. I could repeat the names of the writers, but I think it's not worth doing it.I'd like to add some authors and books:

V. Nabokov The Luzhin Defense or The Defense,

D. Diderot The Nun,

Stendhal The Red and The Black,

H. Balzac Eugenie Grandet,

Albert Camus The Stranger,

Henrik Ibsen A doll's house,

Lion Feuchtwanger-novels,

F. Schiller The Robbers,

Charles Dickens-all the novels (Dombey and son, Little Dorrit, The old curiosity shop and others).

I adore Russian literature,one of my favourite writers is A. Platonov, though I think it is impossible to translate him correctly into other languages.

08:27 AM Jun 10 2010 |

Gucci Yeung

China

Hello, seagull. I’ve read Nabokov’s Lolita but haven’t read The Luzhin Defense. And I would like to talk about Stendhal, he is one of my favourite writer, and The Red And the Black used to be my favourite book :)
Hello, tunabige. The name of the book sounds very interesting, I really want to know what it is mainly about :)

03:16 PM Jun 12 2010 |

seagull2010

Russian Federation

Hello, Gelo,

Have you read Balsac's Eugenie Grandet? You are sure to read it. Smile

12:14 AM Jun 13 2010 |

Zambuka

Zambuka

United States

Bulgakov "Master and Margarita"

J.Galsworthy "the forsyte saga"

voltaire's stories and plays

voynich "Gadfly"

salinger "the catcher in the rye"

C.Ahern "where the rainbow ends"

C.Ahern "P.S. I love you"

Hemingway – all of his works (one of my fav authors)

Harper Lee "to kill a mockingbird" 

this list is not finished yet) will add some books later)) 

BY THE WAY, DID ANYBODY HERE READ THE BOOKS BY NICHOLAS SPARKS???? 

04:47 PM Jun 13 2010 |