Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Would you like to write down some books you like here?

Gucci Yeung

China

Yea I’m a bookworm, I love reading. These are some books I like: The Unbearable Lightness of Being (Milan Kundera), My Name is Red (Orhan Pamuk), One Hundred Years of Solitude (Garcia Marquez), Le Città invisibili (Italo Calvino), and so on.
And I’m reading James Joyce’s A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, it’s good.
Would you like to share your favourite books with me?

12:06 PM Mar 31 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

dabbid

dabbid

Spain

Hi Gucci, nice thread.
I knew "One hundred years of Solitude" and my mother has red it but I haven't.I like reading too but I like very much sci-fi so my favourite books are all sci-fi works: 
 Philip K. Dick--> The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch ¡¡¡THE BEST BOOK IN THE WORLD!!! lol Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? the only book in the world what has got a film better than it (BLADE RUNNER) The Man in the High Castle
Isaac Asimov-->I Robot (the film has got the name but the argument doesn't have nothing to do) Prelude to Foundation/Forward the Foundation/Foundation/Foundation and Empire/Second Foundation/Foundation's Edge/Foundation and Earth ( Iike the whole saga :D)
Ray Bradbury-->Farenheit 451
Orson Scott Card->Ender's Game
Frank Herbert-->DUNE (the original novel, not the saga) 
Aldous Huxley-->Brave New World,  Island
Stanisław Lem-->Solaris
George Orwell-->1984 
REGARDS :D

02:01 PM Mar 31 2010 |

dabbid

dabbid

Spain

Hi Ulya, we have some interests in common! I think that russian literature is a part of myself, I've read a lot of russians books, russians are masters in sci-fi! and I love russian literature:D besides sci-fi I have an old book of the best stories from Leon Tolstoi in my shelving. It belongs to my mother but I've read it and now is mine :p

I love russian artists, they have got a nice concept of art. I will look for that book, Zamyatin, in my college's library, but you must watch this…amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1EbNvHDxbA

is an Alexander Petrov's animation. I haven't read the Heminway's book but this animation is amazing, all is did by hand! there are more works of Petrov on youtube. I really love his work.

regards 

07:57 PM Mar 31 2010 |

Gucci Yeung

China

Nice to have you here Ulya and dabbid. I've read two of Salinger's books, The Catcher in the Rye and Franny and Zooey. I like the Catcher in the Rye. Heminway… I've read his Old Man and the Sea and The Green Hills of Africa. He's a great writer but his style doesn't suit my taste. Seems Everyone likes The Little Prince :-D As for Russian literature, it's great. I'm a big fan of Dostoevsky. I read his Crime and Punishment two years ago. It was crazy, I always forgot the time while reading this book. Also I like Sholokhov's And Quiet Flows the Don. And thanks for sharing your favourite books dabbid, but I really knew little about sci-fi books. I've read a small biography of Isaac Asimov before but haven't the chance to read his works yet.

12:32 AM Apr 01 2010 |

Gucci Yeung

China

Thanks in advance for your list, wyz agf.

09:41 AM Apr 01 2010 |

GAP

GAP

Turks and Caicos Islands

All Stephen King booksSmile

12:25 PM Apr 01 2010 |

Gucci Yeung

China

I love Stephen King’s The Shawshank Redemption, it’s wonderful and impressing.
And I haven’t read Dostoevsky’s Idiot, I’ve read his White Night, not so good I think. But why are you astonished? ;-) Also I like Russian writer Bulgakov’s Master And Margaret.

04:13 PM Apr 01 2010 |

Gucci Yeung

China

Sweet Riad… I’m trying to imagine how micky duck and donald mouse look like :-D

04:23 PM Apr 01 2010 |

Agean's Bacchus

Turkey

Hi

Have you read Orhan Pamuk's novel from Chinese language.Are there books of Turkish writers except Orhan Pamuk in China.If there aren't another writer from Turkey except Orhan Pamuk in China I have respect to power of Nobel and advertisement.I think Orhan Pamuk good writer but he isn't best writer in Turkish Literatur.

I think Orhan kemal better writer than Orhan Pamuk.

Some of my favourite book

1-Nazim Hikmet Human Landscape from my country.

2-Orhan Kemal Father House

3-John Steinbeck The Grapes of Wrath , In Dubious Battle and Street of Sardine

4-Stepan Zweig- Joseph Fouché ,

5-Edgar Alan Poe all books  

07:06 PM Apr 01 2010 |

Gucci Yeung

China

Cheers Ulya! For Dostoevsky and Bulgakov _
Yep I read Pamuk’s novel in Chinese, Agean’s Bacchus. And I haven’t read Orhan Kemal’s works, actually it’s not easy to find Turkish writers’ books in China. But if you think Kemal is even better than Pamuk, I’ll just find out his books to read. Thanks for recommending ;-)

01:06 AM Apr 02 2010 |