Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Homosexual marriages legalized in Australia

Nasim

Nasim

India

Under the new laws, gay couples will be able to hold a legally recognised civil union ceremony in front of friends and family in the territory, which is home to the capital Canberra and the nation's parliament.

The region's legislators approved the bill, which moved by the local Greens party.

Andrew Barr, an ACT minister who is in a gay relationship, wept as he spoke in support of the bill.

"Love, trust and intimacy and commitment are found at the heart of all good relationships," Mr Barr later told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

"I'm proud that this parliament will send that signal that my relationship with Anthony is equal to any other."

The law was drafted so that it does not contravene national legislation which says that civil unions must not mimic marriage.

"We understand that this is not same-sex marriage," said Greens MP Shane Rattenbury, who drafted the bill.

"This legislation is another step along the road to full equality for same-sex couples in Australia, and we are delighted that the assembly has passed it today," he added.

However, the law could still be struck down by Australia's attorney-general, who overturned similar legislation in February 2008 on the grounds it broke national marriage laws.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/6545116/Gay-unions-made-legal-in-Australian-territory.html

[The homosexuals aren't still given the rights to adopt a child or get a child via artificial insemination.] 

07:15 PM Dec 12 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Rikarduhedgehog

Portugal

Gkiss , fabs and everyone! I just gave my opinion! is all very beautiful to say those things when the grass from your house is  greener than others! But If you were in the other side, you'd see it is the same!

Human Rights are all the same to everyone! Being gay or not, they have rights! 

Being homo doesnt mean only sex! In my opinion Love is stronger than everything! and it wont be me, you, nor anyone that will stop this! making barrears it will just provoke, make wars and stupid things! 

there are things in the world that we should worry about, and not about this, since this is just their rights, what they fought for! 

do not try to fight me back, me as you guys, I've my own Ideas, my own rights and my own contraditions! Each one is diffrent! So I agree with your ideas as long you guys accept mine!

02:29 PM Dec 15 2009 |

Mr. Pmosh

Mr. Pmosh

Dominican Republic

To not allow gay marriage is a direct violation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

Article 6 Everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law. Article 7 All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.  Article 16 
  1. Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.
  2. Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses.
Article 21 
  1. Everyone has the right to take part in the government of their country, directly or through freely chosen representatives.
  2. Everyone has the right of equal access to public service in their country.
  3. The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuine elections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret vote or by equivalent free voting procedures.

Yeap, four articles broken.

12:01 AM Dec 16 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Rikard: I of course respect your right to have and to express your opinion as I do for fabs and the others posting on this topic. 

I agree with pretty much everything you've said on this issue. You seem to have the impression that I am opposed to civil unions or marriages for homosexuals.  

01:22 AM Dec 16 2009 |

konstka

konstka

Russian Federation

good step forward

good step forward to dying-out.

04:40 PM Dec 16 2009 |

♥ ~.•'Peace~Girl~ஐ•.•.

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

In my opinion that the homosexual is against human nature ..
Human sexually attracted to the opposite sex (by nature) and I think that homosexuals are sick and in need of treatment ..

I see it is not a wise decision

regards and respects

06:19 PM Dec 16 2009 |

♥ ~.•'Peace~Girl~ஐ•.•.

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

konstka

I agree with you

06:22 PM Dec 16 2009 |

Nasim

Nasim

India

homosexuality is not unnatural. Science and psychology say that. Its our culture that makes it look so. I told about the gonadal hormones and their production in human body. And even if it were sick, so long as they'renot harming any person, including themselves and everything else in their life is normal; you've no right to take thier rights away.

09:12 PM Dec 16 2009 |

Rikarduhedgehog

Portugal

.•'Peac
e
Girl~ஐ•.•.

since you're a peace girl, with this comment you will make just war, did you know?

1st homossexuality is natural! there are present in every mamal! you've reports of that! google it if you dont believe me!

2nd if they are mental sick then they dont need to work! So I'll become a homo just to not work! pathetic! It has nothing to deal with sickness!

3rd I respect your opinion, and I've just had put my counter-opinions, to you see. Also if we are going by what is sick and what is not, can we start about the sick islamists? 

4th Every man and woman, had felt attracted to the same sex , wanting or not! and it is truth! even the most straightest man cant deny! It is natural! 

WHATEVER

02:39 PM Dec 17 2009 |

Rikarduhedgehog

Portugal

if it was natural, no one would ever go against it,

Flu is natural, people are against it! they want to cure it! if you say being it is a sickness, then find the cure dear!

no one would live all his/her life without being a gay,

Dont compare animals to humans in this aspect! when i refered about mamals  I was refering to the sex, not exactly to the feelings! In feelings human beings are the only ones that have souls and mutual feelings! Being or not gay, you still have love! do you know what is love? if you do, then pretend that your love you have is for someone of your sex! it is the same!

About the sex part, I was refering to animals, as you know animals just mate and then bye bye! I was refering to the act!simply as that

God wouldn't in d 1st place create us males & females !!

That is your Religious point of view! There is no sentence on kuran or bibble that says '' Being homossexual is a sin or against nature''. Being gay is a deadly sin, thing that was the religious ones that made, not the followers of God! In talking in religion, God made us in his own image, if got wanted you to be lesbian, would you refuse?

Seeing it by Non-religious one, there is no rule that says it is not correct!

metally sick ppl r not necessay uncapable of working,

hmm! it depends on the gradual of the illness! but as everyone says ''are you gay? then go to the hospital to treatment'' , so you will need to be at hospital, so no working!

Also someone that suffers from his brain, will be not exactly working, dont you think?

aha !! so what does Islam & Muslim has anything to do here ???

I said islam and muslim, since the peace girl is muslim probably! If she was from a christian country, i'd say other thing about her religion, and so on!

why don't we talk about another kind of sick ppl without giving offending titles ??

Like i said, I just mentioned it because of her nationality! It would be the same if i say about stupid christian people, freaks, etc etc.

really ?? is that how u think ?? everyone must feel attracted to d same gender ??

I said they had an atraction! like an afair! just alittle atraction that over! just that! i didnt say everyone must feel atracted to the same gender and keep that feeling!!

sorry but this is ur opinion so plz don't generalize…

this is not an opinion, is the truth! believe me or not! though 90% of people dont admit it!

google it about '' Have you ever felt something about someone of the same sex?'' on google and you might find some info about the % of people that admited, not admited and refused to answer!

Note: I just said this by myself, I dont mean in anyway ofend someone nor attack someone! thanks!

10:19 PM Dec 17 2009 |

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

I consider homosexuality as a moral disorder. No person is born homosexual, just like no one is born a thief, a liar or murder.This evil habits are acquired by people due to a lack of propper guidance and education.

12:42 PM Dec 18 2009 |