Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Islam's Decline

gkisseberth

Germany

a couple of members have posted about all the christian conversions to islam.

In light of that, I found this interesting 

Islam's Decline

A very interesting article from Pajamas Media about Islam's decline
. Quoting an article by an Islamic scholar:

Islam used to represent … Africa’s main religion and there were 30 African languages that used to be written in Arabic script. The number of Muslims in Africa has diminished to 316 million, half of whom are Arabs in North Africa. So in the section of Africa that we are talking about, the non-Arab section, the number of Muslims does not exceed 150 million people. When we realize that the entire population of Africa is one billion people, we see that the number of Muslims has diminished greatly from what it was in the beginning of the last century.

On the other hand, the number of Catholics has increased from one million in 1902 to 329 million 882 thousand (329,882,000). Let us round off that number to 330 million in the year 2000.

As to how that happened, well there are now 1.5 million churches whose congregations account for 46 million people. In every hour, 667 Muslims convert to Christianity. Everyday, 16,000 Muslims convert to Christianity. Every year, 6 million Muslims convert to Christianity. These numbers are very large indeed.

Pajamas Media goes on to point out that some of the conversion of Muslims to Christianity represents a repudiation of tyrannical state religion in places like Iran and the former Soviet Union:

Although al-Qataani points to Africa, there is another phenomenon based on repulsion from Islamist dictatorship, corruption, and terrorist violence. In Iran as many as 1 million people have surreptitiously converted to Evangelical Christianity in the last five years. Pastor Hormoz Shariat claims to have converted 50,000 of them through his U.S.-based Farsi-language satellite ministry. He contrasts the upswing to the efforts of evangelical missionaries in Iran between 1830 and 1979, whose 149 years of work built a Christian community of only 3,000. One Iranian religious scholar believes youth are abandoning Islam because it is identified with the corrupt Iranian government. Now the Iranian Majlis (parliament) is debating the death penalty for conversion.

In southern Russia the same pattern is emerging. According to Roman Silantyev, executive secretary of the Inter-religious Council in Russia, freed from atheist control, two million Muslims converted to Christianity. Repulsed by bloody terrorist attacks, those living in areas such as Beslan have converted to Christianity in the greatest numbers of all. As many as 100,000 have converted to Christianity in post-Soviet Kyrgyzstan.

After decades of Islamist war, evangelicals report thousands of sub-rosa converts in rural areas of Kashmir. Says one churchgoer: “I am interested in this religion. I hate violence. I hate fundamentalists in Islam. I come here to seek peace.” An Indian newspaper headline reads: “Urban Muslim Youth Out to Junk Faith.”

05:18 PM Apr 11 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

Ok GK,,,let us see this:

Despite the prosecution and defamation campaigns against Islam and the holy prophet revealed by the West in its worst forms contrary to the allegations of freedom, democracy and racial discrimination; Taking these campaigns several forms, including racist statements against Muslims by Christian clergy or politicians, and the attack on the Koran Karim and veil of Muslim women, and the continuation of the media press and satellite channels and cultural centres in violation of a Prophet (peace be upon him) and the message of Islam, in addition to continuing to crush the Muslims and their religious, scientific, cultural and personal freedoms, and the movements in the western states, in spite of the walls Berlin social, cultural, political, security and strategic multi filed by the West with Islam since the expulsion of Muslims from Andalusia, through colonial movements, and access to major raid on the Islamic world, but that Islam was able to reach the West geographically well as enable the former West Currently access to our sites aboard military ships, planes and tanks, but the difference between the penetration of the West and he went to go and our geographic spread of Islam and the West geographical locations is that the West came to our force of arms, either Islam had penetrated map potency of the West and self teachings and principles of great value and Commissioner Central young men and women, academics Westerners even become a phenomenon in itself is still currently looking at themselves even today, Vtafrgt study centers and institutions of Western monitoring of this phenomenon and attempt to reach the reasons and motives behind the demand of thousands of young men and women and different categories of Islam.

Studies and reports

Have shown a recent study by the Foundation (Suest) of the Islamic archive in Germany that more than (4000) of the German different religions and sects abandoned the religion, and converted to Islam a month between July 2004 and June 2005, or four times the number in 2003, the same study indicated that the most important reasons to convert to Islam previously was confined German women who marry Muslims, but the situation has changed now, and the conversion to Islam of men and women for other reasons, including the search for psychological calm and comfort as internal belief and feeling close to others or closer to the Middle magician. 
. In another study by the same institution indicated that the number of German Christians who converted to Islam in 2005 reached (1.152) for up to the total (13) thousand, and although there are no statistics for the number of adherents to Islam in 2006 but that the Foundation expects to arrival ( 5000) Muslim. 
In France the newspaper reported (the Express) French report on the spread of Islam among the French saying: "Despite all the measures taken by the French government recently against the Islamic veil and against any religious symbol in the country, official figures indicated that the preparation of French who entered the French in the religion of God reached tens of thousands recently, which is equivalent to Islam ten people daily from French origins, this otherwise of the actual number of Muslim immigrants and Muslim veterans in the country. "
. As stated in the report that the number of new Almatnkin of Islam from the French up to (60) Alpha recently, both those who bow out of love and admiration to this religion, or motivated by the search for identity and the search for self, and many of them urban youth and different strata of society. 

In the United States of America has published a newspaper (New York Times) wrote an article stating that some American experts estimate the number of Americans who profess Islam annually b (25) A person, and the number of people entering the religion of Allah daily quadrupled after the events of September atheist ten according to the estimates religious circles, and surprising that one American reports, published four years ago stated that the number of entrants in Islam after ten atheist strikes of September amounted to more than thirty thousand Muslim and Muslim, and this was confirmed by the Chairman of the Council of American Islamic Relations; He said: "The more (24) A U.S. had converted to Islam after the events of September atheist ten, the highest level achieved in the United States since the income of Islam.

Large numbers and European concern

The initial estimates were available on the number of Muslims in the West, carried out by Islamic institutions and informal institutions, and sometimes the church and research institutions, the number of Muslims in the West arrived in (30) million of the total Muslim population of Europe (705) million, amounted In France Muslims number six million Muslims, which made Islam is the official religion second after Catholicism, and seventy percent of whom had come to France from the Arab Maghreb, according to a study of the European Group issued in the Belgian capital of Brussels in 2001 by immigrants contribute 14.7% of gross domestic French, and Germany has the number of Muslims almost four million people, and in Britain where the number of Muslims million and 700 thousand Muslims, and in Italy, the number exceeded one million Muslims, numbering in the Netherlands (900) A Muslim, and Belgium (600) A Muslim, and in Sweden half a million, and Switzerland (400) A Muslim, and in Spain (400) A Muslim, and in Austria nearly half million, and in Greece (700) A Muslim, and nearly Denmark (200) A Muslim, and in Finland (60) thousand, in addition to the presence of hundreds of thousands of Muslims in European countries that recently joined the European Union. 
These have revealed large numbers of Muslims in various European countries that the movement of childbearing among Muslims too large, and according to experts studying this phenomenon is due to the Islamic tradition keen on the concept of large corporate family, or that it was due to the desire of the Muslim families to benefit from privileges social security European large families through what is known as cash children. 

05:54 PM Apr 11 2008 |

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

MORE than 14,000 white Britons have converted to Islam after becoming disillusioned with western values, according to the first authoritative study of the phenomenon.

NBC NEWS: 20000 Americans Convert To ISLAM Each Year, 75% Of Them Women.

Islam is the second-largest religion in the world, with more than 1.3 billion believers. In the United States, it is the fastest growing religion, a trend fueled mostly by immigration. There are 5 million to 7 million Muslims in the U.S., including between 10,000 and 20,000 members of the American military. By Jim Garamone / American Forces Press Service  

WASHINGTON, Oct. 4, 2001.

06:13 PM Apr 11 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Dear Gkisseberth,

I wonder upon your way of thought,You say that Islam has decline,very strange.You feel that only counts matter.The grace of religion doesn't depend upon the number of followers but lies in hearts of people.What makes the difference,you have compared number of people & churches,this type of comparison takes us away from the spirit of real religion.I feel so.

06:20 PM Apr 11 2008 |

zanaz

zanaz

Algeria

The American (NBC) says " more than twenty thousands persons convert to Islam every year in USANBC NEWS:20000 Americans Convert To ISLAM Each Year! http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/2PS2creVhaM

An American priest says " A lot of priests convert to islam "

YusufEstes – Priests and Preachers accepting Islamhttp://www.youtube.com/watch/v/E6K0627FiCkMany Latinos Convert Daily To ISLAM .. Live From Venezuela! http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/1XyrxzQIN9wEvery day many Germans convert to ISLAM :http://www.youtube.com/watch/v/34kjurzK500Holland TV: ISLAM fastest spreading Faith among Youth Germans:www.youtube.com/watch/v/WAXXN6XOnzQThousands of Danish convert to Islamhttp://www.youtube.com/watch/v/kru6XQ8CT48TV Report Thousands Hispanics Converting To ISLAMhttp://www.youtube.com/watch/v/yDwGsmTx3D

06:24 PM Apr 11 2008 |

monatta

monatta

Saudi Arabia

zanaz

alot of evidences ,  well done  ,

thanks dear

07:10 PM Apr 11 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

zanaz, lots of numbers there, but it was a little confusing and hard to follow. 

I really was confused by the sections in BOLD below

the number of people entering the religion of Allah daily quadrupled after the events of September atheist ten according to the estimates religious circles, and surprising that one American reports, published four years ago stated that the number of entrants in Islam after ten atheist strikes of September amounted to more than thirty thousand Muslim and Muslim, and this was confirmed by the Chairman of the Council of American Islamic Relations; He said: "The more (24) A U.S. had converted to Islam after the events of September atheist ten,

What the hell is "September atheist ten?" 

09:41 PM Apr 11 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Islam is the second-largest religion in the world, with more than 1.3 billion believers. In the United States, it is the fastest growing religion, a trend fueled mostly by immigration.

Just a note on that. I think the trend in Europe is the same. The growth in Islam there is mostly due to immigration, not conversion.  

09:42 PM Apr 11 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

I wonder upon your way of thought,You say that Islam has decline,very strange.

I didn't say it, I just presented the commentary. But it does appear that in the cases mentioned, Islam is in decline.  

You feel that only counts matter.

I didn't say that. Nor do I feel it.  

The grace of religion doesn't depend upon the number of followers but lies in hearts of people.What makes the difference,you have compared number of people & churches,this type of comparison takes us away from the spirit of real religion.I feel so.

I agree, and again, I didn't say anything to the contrary. I was just sharing a piece about an interesting phenomenon that ran counter to some other information posted here.

I honestly would be more pleased to see muslims turn away from their religion and not turn to another, that in my mind is equally as bad. Better to have no religion than trade one bad one for another.  

09:47 PM Apr 11 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Any comments about the original article?

Why do you think people are leaving Islam?

Why do you think people leave Christianity for Islam? (if you prefer to comment on that) 

10:01 PM Apr 11 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Ryo, I know one person who was muslim and converted. I'm curious to know what the member here think might be the reason to convert to or from Islam or to or from some other religion. 

Why do you think? 

11:43 PM Apr 11 2008 |