Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

I have a question, please.. I am waiting for the answer.

hekmer

hekmer

Saudi Arabia

Hi English-baby members :

I have a question, please.. I am waiting for the answer.

choose the correct answer :

What is the antonym of urban dwellers?

إجابة answer

1) People of mountain

2) People of village

-3) People of city

which the correct one : 2   or   3 ?? and why ??

08:55 PM Apr 23 2013 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

colombac

Viet Nam

3- city .

Union   ∪ cits  are    country  and    ∪ Union     villages are  citiy .

The Ratio   cities  are Urban are  high   

..Percentage of villages Will be less because there are a large number of villages are not..

if  you live at   village and the streets were no economically  passageway. 

The stores were just branches compared to cities And does not have a lot of supplies.

11:14 PM Apr 23 2013 |

ramezany

ramezany

Afghanistan

urban dwellers are those who live in a city.so the antonym must be people who live in country,village,mountain but city.so both options(1 and 2) are correct.

12:26 PM Apr 24 2013 |

hekmer

hekmer

Saudi Arabia

I stil do not underatand >>> what do mean with “Union   ∪ cits  are    country  and    ∪ Union     villages are  citiy . “

I realy confused … you & my dr. say the answer is (#3) ... but when I do search, I find the the answer close to be (#2).

look at that :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_area

An urban area is characterized by higher population density and vast human features in comparison to areas surrounding it. Urban areas may be citiestowns or conurbations, but the term is not commonly extended to rural settlements such as villages and hamlets.

How can I be sure ?? or it may be depending  on the text ??

really thanks colombac .

12:38 PM Apr 24 2013 |

hekmer

hekmer

Saudi Arabia

ramezany : Me too. My answer is (#2) but my dr. of reading course says it is (#3).

I am really confused and I am not convinced. 

Also, 

colombac says:

3- city .

And he had explaind but I still do not know why their information is not the same with which I find on dictionaries and websites ??

But teachers always are right … I still wait to get much information about this.

12:48 PM Apr 24 2013 |

ramezany

ramezany

Afghanistan

look.In a simple difinition:

1_urban is an adjective,which means every thing which is related to city.

2_dwellers means people who live in a place=resident….

=> so,urbun dwellers are those who live in a CITY.

As people who are living in a MOUNTAIN,which is lower than a village,so in a conclusion,2 is closer to the answer of the Q.

06:40 AM Apr 25 2013 |

colombac

Viet Nam

sorry    Hekmer i missed  the  word    antonym  .. 

i tought  the  question    at  this  context   What is the The urban dwellers?   so   if  question  like  this….  in  this   case  ...FOR SURE CITY   

if   the   Question is …. What is the antonym of urban dwellers? THen   i think   the  first  ..  NUMBER ONE .\

I  think    your  DR or  teacher   Made   serious mistake  by  thinking  its  city .  

Union is a symbol symbolizes into two or more group  to be a comprehensive set

The  country   may consist of a cluster   of cities and Cities may consist of a cluster of villages also..

IF  Tha  city is  urban  This does not require that all the villages and provinces  That belong to The  city they are also  urban  .

But its  enought    for city  to  be   urban   to  be  there  less     village or   province are urban  too   at  lest .

there  are  same  Villages   could be  isolated Or geographical location  affect .

Most of the villages in the original are mountains ,Some of them turned into buildings.  And began providing shops  and foundations  Urban

if  you    calculated the rate of  villages that are  urban  will be less..

But the  ratio number of cities the  will be more..

if  you live in a village it   could  be  lack   of  alot  of supplies   e and  Equipmente   so  u have  to  Transmitted to  city or  .Or the city center.

10:22 AM Apr 25 2013 |

hekmer

hekmer

Saudi Arabia

So, everybody chose 1 or 2 ….. thanks a lot for all of you :)

05:28 PM Apr 25 2013 |

hekmer

hekmer

Saudi Arabia

colombac

sorry    Hekmer i missed  the  word    antonym  .. 

hahaha do not be sorry …

I said that to myself hahaha … it always happens.

05:31 PM Apr 25 2013 |