Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

You’re such a dog

Newcastle

Newcastle

Spain

Hi, English mates! Anyone could tell me what is the meaning of this expression inthe following dialogue? Spencer likes to browse through the music store and he asks Doris whether she wants to go to the mall with him…       Spencer: Doris, do you want to come to the mall with me?   Doris: I'd love to, but I'm broke.   Spencer: So am I, but I like browsing through the music store there.   Doris: Are you sure you only want to browse?   Spencer: Yeah.  I like to listen to new albums there.  I don't have money to buy them, but I   can go there and listen.  You know you don't have to pay for listening.   Doris: You're such a dog. Maybe it’s like saying he’s peculiar, strange..I have no clue. And you? Smile

04:34 PM Jun 12 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Mim0§a

Mim0§a

Indonesia

it means he’s an unattractive person (offensive), so pathetic, and not cool!

05:55 AM Jun 13 2007 |

Mim0§a

Mim0§a

Indonesia

it means he’s an unattractive person (offensive), so pathetic, and not cool!

05:55 AM Jun 13 2007 |

Newcastle

Newcastle

Spain

Cheers, Mimosa!

Anyway, I haven't finish getting it. I mean,a guy who listens to music at a store..Is he supoussed to be not cool? Why?Undecided

08:06 AM Jun 15 2007 |

Queen of Fairies

Belarus

Hi Newcastle!

You can say "you're such a dog" (mostly it is meant as a joke) to a guy when he behaves cheeky or says something naughty. Here Doris thinks that coming to a music store just to listen to music and not going to buy anything is cheeky.

You also can say it to someone who played a joke on u or made fun of u.I’m not sure, but I think the expression is used only talking to (or about) guys and the synonym for girls is “bitch” (but meant in a nice way)) J)

09:15 AM Jun 15 2007 |

Mim0§a

Mim0§a

Indonesia

he’s so pathetic n not cool coz he’s coming to the music store just to listen to music for free n not buying anything there. clear now?

01:10 PM Jun 15 2007 |

Mapleleaf Man

Canada

Such a dog means 'such a scoundrel'. Not really bad, just kind of low, kind of cheap, rough or naughty. If a married guy looks at a hot young chick, you could say "You're such a dog!" with a big smile on your face.

Queen is right, it's used on guys. There is really no equivalent for women, bitch doesn't mean anything the same. Bitch is nasty and bad, dog is just a bit bad but still fun.

11:20 AM Jun 17 2007 |

Newcastle

Newcastle

Spain

Aha! I have already caught it now, I think. Very clear. Thanks a lot, mates!

I 've found more examples:

§          Imagine that you’re a bored, single, plain-looking, lonely school- teacher who still lives at home. You’re 29 and in 1955 that’s like being 40. You’re at a dance and the guy your girlfriend has tried to set you up with has just ditched you. In tears, you think to yourself “I must be a dog”. And then just in the nick of time, a sweet, heavy-set fellow (a butcher) asks you to dance. As you confess that you have been crying a lot and that you’ve been stood up one too many times, he leans in closer and says: “You don’t get to be good hearted by accident, you get kicked around enough, you get to be a real Professor of Pain. I know exactly how you feel. And I also want you to know that I’m having a very good time with you right now and I’m really enjoying myself – You’re not such a dog as you think you are.” Who wouldn’t fall in love with this guy? (unattrative, pathetic, not cool..)  §         "I still have my days when I wake up and look at myself and think, You're such a dog. And I have to work so hard at talking positively to myself. ...(not cool,pathetic..) 

§         Do you think you guys can get back together? Mike:, I don't know. There's plenty of fish out there in the sea. Ryan:, Oh, you're such a dog! ...(cheeky, scoundrel, rascal, naughty..)

§          "But why is she so pretty, and you’re such a dog?" I was still of an age where I thought all questions required an answer of some sort, but the query was one I myself pondered relentlessly. So I shrugged, and continued rubbing powdered soap into my raw, red hands. (unattractive in regard with appearance. plain-looking?)

Maybe there are more meanings for this expressions…I don't know. SmileSee you!

05:39 PM Jun 17 2007 |

Queen of Fairies

Belarus

why, Mapleleaf man, if "a married guy" looked at my friend and she'd say to him "What are you looking, I'm not a tv set" in front of everyone and embarrass him, I'd laugh and say "You're such a bitch!"

))

totally

10:43 AM Jun 20 2007 |

mini-fish

mini-fish

China

i agree with Queen

11:04 AM Jun 20 2007 |